What causes Parvo in dogs? Parvo is a fatal dog disease caused by a strain of virus called VAP. It usually takes twenty-four hours from infection to death. Infected dogs spread or shed the virus for many days following recovery and thus it’s possible they are infectious for up to three months before showing any symptoms. It also means that whatever an infected dog has stepped on or touched has probably been contaminated.
There are several things that can cause parvo in dogs but the most important thing to look out for is contaminated drinking water. It’s very easy for dogs to drink contaminated water as there are many stagnant water areas around the home. Water from sinks, taps and bath tubs may contain an ingredient that dogs can get from drinking. It’s advisable to have your taps filtered and your baths regularly disinfected to prevent parvo. If you don’t disinfect your bathroom taps regularly then you should certainly have them cleaned every time you do a full bath and kitchen sink bowl should be washed with hot water to eliminate the threat of bacteria.
In the wild most dogs die from parvo due to drowning, so the importance of disinfecting quickly is crucial. Dogs suffering from parvo should not be taken outdoors for obvious reasons; especially if you are going to stay in the same house for a period of time. Boiled milk can be used for the first hour or so to disinfect your dog. You should also boil some water for your dog to drink as part of the treatment; just make sure that all surfaces are fully disinfected and thoroughly dry. Boiling tea bags or vinegar (or lemon juice) are other good products to use for parvo in dogs.
After boiling and disinfecting your home, you should remove any kennel equipment which might have come into contact with the dog, including dog shampoo, towels, food containers and anything else which could have come into contact with the dog. These parts water will need to be disinfected using a disinfectant of some description. There are plenty of disinfectants available on the market, but some of them can cause parvo in dogs so it’s always best to consult with a vet before you use one.
Once the infection has been taken care of, you’ll want to look at how your dog is otherwise and if there are any other symptoms. One of the main symptoms of parvo is weakness and discomfort in the stomach and the intestines. Other symptoms include blood in the urine and stool and vomiting. Although these symptoms are caused by the bacteria attacking your dog’s immune system, they can have serious implications on your dog’s health. If your dog develops these symptoms, you should consult a vet immediately for a diagnosis.
Another way to disinfect the dog’s yard is to add bleach and lemon juice to your yard. These disinfectant substances will kill off any of the microorganisms that are currently plaguing your dog. Although it can take weeks or even months for a dog to die from parvo, you will be able to rid your yard of the problem for good once it has been taken care of.
If you’re a vet diagnoses parvo as being parvovirus, you may be prescribed anti-parvo medication such as Canine Parvovirus Treatment (CPT). This medication must be taken daily in order to prevent the dogs from further attacks of parvo. It also helps to improve the dogs immune system so that the chances of further attacks of parvo in dogs are lower.
However, if the vet concludes that your dog has simply gotten parvo from eating too many raw hides, or from playing in an area with too much dirt and grime, then you will need to choose toys for your pooch that are suitable for this condition. Toys made out of chenille fibers are good choices because they offer a very soft and comfortable grip on a dog’s tongue, but these toys are also very easy for a dog to shake off if they get too excited about exploring their new chew toy. You should also avoid feeding your dog too many table scraps because this can weaken their digestive systems. If you must feed your dog scraps, make sure you rinse them thoroughly beforehand to ensure that there are no traces of parvo virus left behind.