What is the best medicines for dogs, commonly known as distemper in dogs? Well, there are lots of medicines that can be given to your pet dog as treatment for this dog disease. However, there is no single medicine that can be termed as the best medicines for dogs, rather you need to consult a vet before giving any pet dog any dosage of these medicines. The dosage of these medicines will depend on the nature and condition of the disease as well as on the age and health of your dog. Let’s have a look at some of the possible treatments for dogs that include distemper in dogs.
– rabies vaccine. Although this is a kind of vaccine, it is only given to dogs that are less than six months old. The distemper vaccine is not given to puppies or adult dogs. Rabies vaccine helps in preventing distemper from causing severe health defects in dogs. You will also need to give your dog an extra dose of the rabies vaccine every year.
– Anti-distemper shampoo. This medication is also required to prevent the distemper virus from affecting your dog’s brain and spinal cord. Make sure that you choose the anti-distemper shampoo that best fits your dog’s needs and coat.
– Treatment for vomiting. Another condition that can occur in dogs is vomiting. The vomiting is caused due to the virus that enters through the intestinal tract and damages the dog’s stomach. There is also another type of condition where the vomit contains blood. Therefore, you need to give your dog a dose of anti-vomiting medication that is also needed to treat distemper.
– Canine Distemper vaccination. In order to avoid distemper infections, you should vaccinate your dogs. The distemper vaccine helps in preventing the infection from affecting your dogs. The vaccine helps in preventing the serious and fatal complications caused by the distemper infection. Hence, you can also save money by getting the vaccine since it is less expensive than treatment.
– Anti-vomiting medications. There are other medications that are given as medicines for dogs. These medications help in relieving the vomiting caused by the infection and in treating the diarrhea. It should also be coupled with a good anti-distemper shampoo.
– Anti-biotic shampoos. These medications are given to dogs to prevent the infection from recurring. Since most dogs do not vomit well, antibiotic shampoos help them recover faster. The shampoos are made of natural ingredients such as herbs, botanicals and other organic substances. These medications are the best medicines for dogs because they kill the parasites while at the same time relieving the symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting.
– Surgery. Surgery is usually considered as the last resort when all the medications mentioned above fail. Surgery is necessary if there is nothing else that can be done to relieve the pain and to recover your dog’s health. Surgery will help your dog get over the distemper and the infection faster so that the dog will not be affected anymore by the disease.
– Pain medication. When the diarrhea and vomiting have already ceased, pain medications will surely help the dog to deal with the said symptoms. The dog will also feel more comfortable after being given pain killers. But it is still best to consult a vet first before administering pain killers to your dogs.
– Diet. It is also advisable to feed your dog a diet rich in proteins and vitamins. Vitamins and proteins are necessary to maintain the health of the dog, especially the gastrointestinal tract. So make sure to give your dog a healthy and well-balanced diet to avoid dogs getting sick easily and when there is still no reappearance of vomiting or diarrhea.
There are also some drugs that your vet can prescribe for your dog if diarrhea and vomiting continue. Some of these drugs are intravenous fluids, oral antibiotics and ointments, and administration of pentoxifylline. Pentoxifylline is a drug that helps reduce and in some cases, stop diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. However, this drug cannot be given to all strains of distemper because it also causes hypothermia. Consult your vet to know which drugs are best for your pet and on what dosage level to administer.
These are just some of the best medicines for dogs available today. Of course, there are still other drugs that can be used to treat diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. The dosage may vary depending on the dog’s condition. You can ask your vet for advice on what is the best treatment for your pet.